Today’s work from home policies are a “luxury” that a large swath of our workforce is enjoying. Gone is the early morning rise to catch a 6am commuter train and the long trek home that gets you in after 8pm. But, just because you get to “sleep-in” doesn’t mean you should hit the snooze button until noon or sit at your desk in PJ’s. You need to set specific office hours and boundaries, eliminate chaos and distractions, create a comfortable environment, and much more. Here are a few tips to get you started.
Get your day started early
- Waking up early gives you a kick start for the day ahead and promotes greater productivity and lower stress levels.
- Get to bed early to give yourself a quality sleep cycle
- Sleeping in can make you feel sluggish.
Establish your specific work hours:
- It can be difficult to flip the ‘work mindset’ and hit the on/off switch when working from home. You can manage this by defining a timeline for your day and sticking to it as best you can.
- Establishing a routine will give you a sense of normalcy.
- Designated work hours will reduce levels of distraction.
- Work smarter not harder, so that you can avoid working even more hours than usual.
Create a comfortable work environment, but not TOO comfortable:
- A comfortable workspace will lead to a more organized environment.
- An organized work environment will promote motivation and inspiration.
- Be sure not to make your workspace TOO comfortable… you do not want to feel so relaxed that it hinders your productivity.
Utilize available technology:
- Embrace the webcam to stay connected with coworkers.
- Technology will make effective communication possible.
- Schedule regular zoom meetings to keep you connected with your team and clients.
Give yourself a break:
- Caring for your mental health is especially important during times like this.
- A refreshing break leads to lower stress levels.
- Take a lunch break and enjoy your food away from your desk
- Get outside! Take a stroll around your block for some fresh air and Vitamin D.
Creating a structured work environment and routine will boost your productivity and mindset. Stay focused, stay connected, & stay positive!
Need more help?